‘Leaf’ an Imprint 3 Column

Daisypath

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, October 25, 2012

How Could We Forget... Pt. 1


***Warning this may be a little gruesome for some.  Not trying to be, just trying to tell the story.***

A little over a year ago, on October 14th, 2011 my husband and I set off on a great adventure to go camping at Pisgah Campground on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  We had a van full of way more stuff than we needed and our bellies full with a yummy smoothie from Smoothie King, we were off! We were leaving later than we had planned, but I was choosing to have a good attitude and be patient (the Lord is still really helping me grow in those things!).  Matt had just worked a nightshift at work the night before so that means he got home at 5:30am, in the bed by 6am and woken back up around 1pm or so.

ANYWAYS.... We were now on our way, driving down all sorts of beautiful roads.  I still couldn't believe this was my home and I also couldn't believe we would be leaving it in a few short months to head to seminary.  We were both so excited, but the bittersweetness of leaving family and friends was also there.  Matt had dealt with a lot of stress and anxiety and stomach issues pretty much all of 2011.  I had injured my back very badly the previous October and was still suffering from it.  A few months prior, August to be exact, we had begun praying about and trying to start our family, which had been unsuccessful up to this point (another story for another time:)).
We had a lot of ups and downs in 2011.  
As we look back on it we call it our Year of Faith.  
God was really stretching, testing, challenging, and growing us in a lot of ways.  The events that were about to play out on the lovely fall evening of October 14, 2011 were just another part of our Year of Faith.

We arrived to our campsite around 7:30-8pm.  We met our "neighbors," Mark and Bill, two nice guys away for the weekend to fish.  Then we set up our tent, joking and laughing the whole time.
Finally, it was time to start dinner.  We were going to have hotdogs cooked over the fire topped with guacamole and baked beans on the side. Yum!
We brought our own fire wood, which Matt needed to cut down into kindling.  For his birthday a few months earlier he had received a Cabela's gift card, combined with one he had received for being in a wedding, he bought himself a brand-new Gerber Axe.

Lauren's perspective (Maybe Matt will write his one day...):
So there was my man cutting kindling out in the woods, sexy right?, but to be honest, he was making me nervous.  
He had just sent me to the van to get some more wood... in my nervousness, honest to goodness, I was about to turn around and say,
"Please be careful Babe" 
but before I could say anything I see him walking over to the other campsite to talk to the two fishermen.
I head over there to see what is going on and as soon as I approach I began to say "Oh Jesus, Oh Jesus, Oh Jesus."  I think that is about all I could do or say.
My Matthew is holding his left hand, thumb to be more specific, and all I can see is bright, red blood pouring out of his thumb.  
Matt is calm, cool, and collected.  
He starts telling us all what to do.  "You (pointing to Bill) get me something to put pressure on the wound with, then go tell the Park Ranger what has happened and call for an ambulance."  "Ok, now you two (Mark and I) come help me find the thumb."
So over to the cutting/fire area we go.  I am still saying "Oh Jesus" a million times.

Asking my husband if he is ok.
What?
I know stupid question.  I felt so helpless.
Then I started praying a little more full prayer, "Oh Jesus, help us find the thumb."  "Oh Jesus, please let it not be in the ashes."  Then I spotted it, "There it is! Oh I cannot touch it..." So Mark picked it up.  I went to the van and got a little cooler that I had thrown in at the last minute for "no reason."  Put some ice in it and we wrapped the piece of thumb in some plastic.

(IMPORTANT NOTE: If anything like this were to ever happen to you, i.e. losing an extremity, studies now show that cool/cold water is enough, ice can damage nerves, etc...).  

By this time, Bill has come back and tells us to get in the car.  I grab my purse and give Mark the keys to the van.  They say that they will pack up all our stuff for us (such great guys!).
Matt and I get in Bill's car and drive to the front of the park.
Matt asks me to read Psalm 139, a Psalm we had been mediating on a lot in recent weeks.  Bill is still in the car with us as we wait for the ambulance.  We get the opportunity to read Scripture, pray, and share the gospel with him before they EMT guys get there.  All while my husband is holding pressure on his half a thumb.
Wow, I cannot over state how proud I am of my man.  
God was so faithful to him during that time.

The paramedics get there and load us up.  Matt in the back with one guy and me in the front with the driver.  I wasn't happy about being separated, but it turned out ok.  
Matt again shared the gospel with the gentleman working on him.  I wish that I had been more in my right mind and thought to share the gospel with the driver, but unfortunately, I was very emotional....

To be continued....   

No comments:

Post a Comment